Thursday, July 20, 2006

I Believe It Is Some Kind Of Ivy That I Tore Up Tonight

With my wife not coming home until eight this evening, I thought I would take advantage of the late summer sunset and prune back some vegetation from the house. We recently had our pest-control guy over (a whole other future post) and he indicated that we should not have any vegetation touching the house because and/or like to use the tendrils as their own little Golden Gate Bridges to get to the house and consequently wreak havoc under the siding. Despite knowing in the back of my mind that a tenacious insect could just crawl up from the damn ground instead of using vegetation to bypass the siding, this information scared the guano out of me. So, I trimmed a grape vine back from the deck and cut back this gigantic bush from the house's siding. I noticed how the paint on the gutters was old and chipped and that reminded me that I have not cleaned the gutters since we arrived in September. Aggghh. Another project.

The biggest challenge came when I tried to pull some away from the stone front path. At least, I think it's ivy. For the longest time, we thought it was Pachysandra, but in preparing for this post, I discovered that that is not true. The ivy is no where near the house, so it was not on the hit list that the exterminator gave me. But I was in such a plant-hacking frenzy that I turned my energy upon it and started pulling it away, first doing so without gloves. Then I remembered about and realized that getting poison ivy on my hands would be really bad since, like most people, I use my hands for everything. I got a pair of gloves and continued to pull, using a tiny pair of hand pruners on the thicker tendrils. After about twenty-five minutes, the sun was setting and I had cleared about a 1' x 3' patch of it. I should mention that the ground the ivy covers is about fifty times that size and takes up half of our front . I have considered mowing over it, but do not want to wreck the mower. I know there must be some sort of ivy-killing machine out there, but I am sensing that it is expensive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home